Monday, November 19, 2007

I {heart} My in-laws, by Dina Poch

I saw this book on the shelf at the library under New Releases, Non-Fiction, and I thought, "hey, that looks like a good book." So I picked it up. After all, I {heart} my in-laws, so why not.

It's not exactly a diary about how much the author loves her in-laws. It's more how to get along with your in-laws, with advice and vignettes from people who have Been There, so to speak. How to get along with the seriously weird, annoying, overbearing, insert-bad-character-trait-here people you've managed to inherit along with a new spouse.

My personal opinion: Remember you marry the family, not just the PERSON, when you're considering marriage. If his family is a problem NOW, while you're still DATING, getting a ring and putting a deposit on a reception hall isn't going to improve matters. It's a fun read, though. Full of humor, and guaranteed to give you at least one instance of "wow...now that's bad."

Some good advice, if you've never thought to get any or think of things quite that way before. I suppose as "general relationship" advice it might work, and there may be some suggestions in there you've not thought of before. However, don't expect it to magically change anything. Most of it's generic self-help stuff, and obviously they can't cover every single problem (although they do, at times, appear to try). It's presented better than most, though - good use of humor and examples.

3.5 out of 5 bones.

No comments: