Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fire and Ash by Allie Gail

Sophomore books often don't live up to the promises of their predecessors. This isn't the case with Fire and Ash. Ms. Gail brought us to a dark but fascinating place with the relationship of Ash and Sami. I enjoyed Sami and I loved the inclusion of Jules and Eva from book one. (I adored the Rio scenes!) The story was as satisfying as the first with one exception...Ash. He's a despotic ruler. His light side is darker than most people's good sides. Look up sociopath and you'll be directed to psychopath where you'll find his picture...with a warning label. He tormented Sami to the brink of madness and, from the ending, perhaps beyond. I was hoping that he would redeem himself but it never happened. Which I can see as a good thing because every good series needs a villain and Ash will be good at this. Jules needs to keep that knife around... I gave this book three stars not because there was anything wrong with the plot or writing. No, I had to take a star away because I absolutely, completely, loathed Ash. I've only loathed one book character more...the chick from She's Come Undone. Ash turns my stomach. Reminds me too much of the alpha male "heroes" from 70s bodice rippers..."let me rape you until you love me". But Ash is the perfect villain, you root for his death like you root for the home team on Homecoming. Perhaps I should go back and change it to four stars, but I won't. Ash deserves to be punished. 3 out of 5 berries only because Ash is a dick.

No comments: