Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Change One Diet by Reader's Digest

So, I've started reading the "diet" books that I've checked out from the library. The first one is the Change One Diet from Readers Digest. It's a good concept. Basically, you change one thing at a time begining with breakfast. For a week (or so) you just eat breakfast in a healthy way. The diet advocates eating whole grains, a small amount of protien and a fruit for breakfast everyday. It continues with lunch and then with dinner, each step bringing you closer to "dieting". Then the program has you work on things like eating out and celebrations and finally maintenance. After mastering all of these, the plan then (finally) works in fitness.

The thing I like about this plan is that they totally advocate changing things slowly. The human body isn't geared toward making and maintaining huge changes all at one time. I can get behind something like this.

What I don't like about the book is that they leave fitness for the very end. Everyone knows that the actual easiest way to lose weight is Calories in < Calories out. Right? What is the easiest way to get those calories "out"? Exercise. (yes, I hate it too but there it is.)

All in all, the book is a good read. I'm still reading parts of it but for now, the very basic idea of the book is "change just one thing at a time". Good advice.

Pretty much, from what I've read so far, I'll give the book 3 out of 5 berries.

No comments: