Monday, December 17, 2007

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I bought this book 6 months ago because everyone was telling me how wonderful it was and of course, my library had book 2 and 3 of the series but not book 1. Then, when it came from Amazon, I set it aside. I'm not sure if I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as everyone assured me it was, or if I wanted to savor the discovery of a new author or what, but I'm very glad I did wait.

Because the wait was so worth it.

Twilight starts out with17 year old High School Junior, Isabella "Bella" Swann moving from sunny Scottsdale,AZ to Forks, WA where it rains pretty much 362 days of the year. Her first day at school she meets Edward, a beautiful mysterious "boy" who seems to hate her. Intensely bothered by his apparent hatred, Bella tries to ignore him. But it's already too late. She's attracted to him and he to her. The revelation that Edward is a vampire (of the "vegetarian" variety...they dine on animals instead of humans) is almost anticlimactic, Bella's apparent nonchalance is more compelling given Edward's insistence that they not become friends. Again it's too late. They fall in love and Bella is introduced to the vampiric world by Edward.

Ms. Meyer has beautifully recreated the vampire mythos in this book. While it is a book aimed at the YA crowd, it is surprisingly sensual in its delivery. I've read much smuttier (much much smuttier) books than this and have been "meh" about them. With Twilight, I found myself a bit aroused by the tender love story between Bella and Edward. This is not to say that the book is unsuitable for the younger audience, (although I probably wouldn't give it to anyone under the age of 15) and I also wouldn't say that it is a "romance" novel either. There is action, almost terrifyingly so, toward the last 1/3 of the book.

I will be going out and buying the next two novels in the series (in hardback!) and will report on them here. I truly fell in love with this book. It gets, and deserves, 5 out of 5 berries.

No comments: